‘Inhumane and Barbaric’
Jane Smith, former NHS employee, talks frankly about her fight to see and care for her mum during the COVID-19 pandemic, and her own mental health struggles which have resulted from their forced separation.
Jane Smith was shut out from her mother’s care by a private care home under the pretext of COVID-19 safety.
She has vocally campaigned on Twitter for the rights of care home residents and families to see their loved ones and has been actively telling her story to the media in the hopes of raising awareness of this crisis within a crisis.
- Heartbreak as care home rules costs ‘precious moments’
- Woman on ‘psychological torture’ of barely seeing mum in care home
- ‘I’m losing my mum to Covid’ – A dementia poem about care home restrictions
- Dementia-hit mother, 94, breaks down as she hears daughter’s voice
- Families to miss Mother’s Day as care homes defy new visiting guidance
In this video, she shares the heart-wrenching story of how contact with her mum went from unlimited, three-hour daily visits to only 20 minutes, physically distanced, just once every two weeks.
Inhumane and barbaric. Those are the only words that come to mind.”